Here at DEVELOP3D we were delighted to spot amongst the prestigious winners of the Design Museum’s annual gongs one of our favourite designs from this year – the Cola Life Kit Yamoyo – designed by Pi Global.
We featured the kit in the March edition of DEVELOP3D, and were delighted by its form, simplicity and, most importantly, its ability to save lives.
The wedge-shaped, vacuum formed, container made of 80 per cent recycled plastic fits amongst the rows of Coca-Cola bottles – piggy-backing its way cheaply to some of the most inhospitable parts of the world, where the fizzy beverage still reaches.
The awards celebrate the best of international design from the last 12 months, with seven categories covering different firlds.
The overall winner for the Design of The Year 2013 will be announced on Wednesday 16 April at a posh awards do in London. We’ll bring you the winner from a grimey cafe across the street having listend in using a glass against the window.
The seven category winners also include GOV.UK, a new British government website which promises to revolutionise governmental online communications, bringing together different government websites into one single site making it a much easier and user friendly service.
Oher winners include the renovation and reimagining of a faded 1960’s tower block in Paris, a landmark documentary an fashion icon Diana Vreeland, a reinvention of the wheel in the form of a unique folding wheel which can be applied to bicycles and wheelchairs and a chair constructed using the latest computer technology.
The seven category winners are:
• Architecture: TOUR BOIS-LE-PRÊTRE, PARIS – Designed by Frédéric Druot, Anne Lacaton and Jean-Philippe Vassal
• Digital: GOV.UK WEBSITE – Designed by Government Digital Service
• Fashion: DIANA VREELAND: THE EYE HAS TO TRAVEL – Directed by Lisa Immordino Vreeland
• Furniture: MEDICI CHAIR – Designed by Konstantin Grcic for Mattiazzi
• Graphics: VENICE ARCHITECTURE BIENNALE IDENTITY – Designed by John Morgan Studio
• Products: KIT YAMOYO – Designed by ColaLife and PI Global
• Transport: MORPH FOLDING WHEEL – Designed by Vitamins for Maddak Inc.