With just one year to go until London 2012 we are going to start seeing a great deal of products sold under the London 2012 Olympics licence.
One product design consultancy getting in on the action is Norwich-based Product Resolutions, which has developed a low-cost money/chocolate dispenser featuring the Olympic mascots Wenlock and Mandeville.
– As this was a highly confidential project, Product Resolutions knew it would be challenging with several different parties having to approve all stages of the project including Hornby, Cadbury’s and LOCOG (London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games)
– During the concept development stage the designers looked at the various ways in which the chocolates could be delivered to children. The challenge was that it not only had to be interesting but also designed using the minimum number of components possible
– After completion of the concept stage the mechanism was spaced out using SolidWorks enabling the designers to evaluate the basic functions
– Product Resolutions also worked with its prototype supplier in China making test jigs to evaluate the actual function
– Photoview 360 was used to produce approval renderings for the client before manufacturing a final working prototype for project sign-off
– Tooling ready CAD data was provided to the toolmaker
– The final design was produced on time and on budget with a mechanism that used only plastic parts with no separate springs or complex assembly
– The product launched in April 2011 and is already providing strong sales. In fact if you are keen to get into the Olympic spirit early, you can get your very own dispenser now from Argos